Friday, March 9, 2012

For example salmon, mackerel, pilchard?

Do dogs need any fruit or vegetables to be healthy when feeding a raw food diet?
|||Fruits and veggies are useless...I used to feed them, I cut them out, no noticeable difference except less gas. In my opinion, plant matter in a dog's diet is simply a filler. Fish is a great source of nutrients and Omegas. I don't feed raw fish though because of the risk of different intestinal parasites. I do feed canned salmon and mackerel occasionally, and I supplement with Salmon Oil daily for it's Omega 3 and 6. I wish there wasn't such a concern for parasites or I'd feed a lot more pork and fresh Salmon would probably be on the menu daily.

-edit- Some people feed raw fish anyway and make sure to have the vet test fecal exams on their checkup dates....that's fine I suppose...if you decide on raw fish? Make sure they don't have any spines, this may include you having to shear their fins off before feeding them to your dogs.

And to the person above me: That's a myth, dogs nor wolves eat the stomach contents of their prey items. The stomach wall is torn open and the contents shaken loose. The stomach itself is eaten, not the contents.|||Yes, fish can be included as part of a raw diet. Here's additional information on feeding raw fish: http://www.rawlearning.com/fish.html

As far as the fruits and vegetables, it depends on who you ask. Many people do not think they are necessary and do not feed them. Their dogs seem to do well. Many people do think they are necessary in smaller amounts and do feed them. Their dogs also seem to do well. I do add some cooked vegetables to my dogs' diets, but not large quantities.|||Yes, definitely, they are very healthy. Just start off a little bit at a time. When they get used to it a couple of times a week is ideal. Feed the fish whole, and don't worry about the bones, they should be fine as long as they are not cooked. However check with your local fish monger that the types of fish you are buying are all safe to eat raw, some aren't.
In regard to the answer above, I am sure that wolves do actually eat the whole carcass, including the stomach content and bones. In any case, feeding vegetables, as long as they're pureed, adds vitamins and nutrients to your dogs diet.|||Yes! They are excellent sources of omega 3 fatty acids!

just introduce them slowly. my dogs have been raw fed since June and they will still throw up fish. (so currently I give can mack or salmon)

Smelt is another good fish to try.

Dogs can not digest vegetables unless theyre cooked and pureed, so biologically, since they don't have the bodies made to eat veggies, they don't need to have them.

And fruit can upset the acid balance in a dog's stomach.

I have completely based my dog's diets off of what a dog or wolf in the wild would eat, and what their stomachs do best on. dogs have a fast digestive tract, so the veggies will go right through without the body absorbing any of the nutrients. In the wild, wolves disregard the stomach content (the partially digested vegetation) of their prey.

there is something called green tripe, which are the raw intestines. dogs love it. it's not needed to have a nutritionally complete raw diet, but including it is what a dog in nature would eat. some people opt to feed that instead of vegetables.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment